Notice a few dents in your garage door? It’s very common for garage doors to dent even if they haven’t been directly hit by your car. This can happen from something as simple as a soccer ball hitting the door during a game or using the garage as your tennis opponent. Having a higher quality garage door, however, will help to keep the cost of maintenance down and take years off its appearance.
Sam’s Garage Doors Ltd. has put together a two-part guide on how to fix the smaller dents on your garage door to make it look new and prevent future problems.
Repair Strategy #1
This DIY repair can be done using products that you already have in your home. This is a cheaper, convenient way to fix the dents on your aluminum or steel garage door.
- Step 1: Take a bucket and fill it with 1 teaspoon of dish soap and the rest with water. Swirl it together with a sponge and then wash the dented area with the soaked sponge. Make sure it’s thoroughly washed, then leave it for 1 hour.
- Step 2: Cut off a piece of aluminum foil from the role that is large enough to cover the dent, leaving a bit of excess room.
- Step 3: Get a lighter and compressed air canister, remove the top.
- Step 4: Place the aluminum foil over the dent and then light the lighter over it. Move the flame across the dent for just a minute, then remove the foil.
- Step 5: Turn the air canister upside down. Spray the dent on your garage with it for 30 seconds. The dent should pop back into place after two minutes or so.
- Step 6:Finish off by hosing the dent to remove any carbon dioxide left from the air canister.
Repair Strategy #2
This strategy is for larger dents and requires a bit more maintenance but is sure to do the job effectively.
- Step 1: Take a square block of wood and place it over the dent. You will then tap the piece of wood with a hammer slightly to straighten the dent out.
- Step 2: Remove the wood and take a 120 grit sandpaper to sand over the dent area.
- Step 3: Make a blend of auto body filler with hardener over a piece of cardboard. The more hardener you incorporate in the blend, the sooner the blend will set.
- Step 4: Apply your filler and hardener blend over the dent on the opposite side of the garage door with a plastic putty knife. Use the same knife to smooth the blend out. Let it dry for 20 minutes before sanding.
- Step 5: Sand it with the 120 grit sandpaper to smooth it down and finish by painting over the dent, or entire garage with paint that works for metal garage doors.
Sam’s Garage Doors Ltd. offers the best service in British Columbia for garage door repair or if you’re looking to buy brand-new garage doors to be installed. We are known for our affordable prices and excellent customer service so give us a call to know more today!